Be Imitators of God
Ephesians 5 continues our higher calling and directly tells us how to "walk" in the new nature:
- Therefore be imitators of God as dear children
- And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma
- But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints
- neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks
- For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
- Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience
- Therefore do not be partakers with them.
- Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord
- have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them
- it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret
- all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light
Therefore He says:
“Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light.”
- See then that you walk accurately (in a straight line), not as fools but as wise
- redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
- do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is
- do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit
- speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord
- giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
- submitting to one another in the fear of God.
- Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord
- let the wives be [subject] to their own husbands in everything.
- Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her
- husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies
- let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself
- let the wife see that she respects her husband.